2012 Biology Commencement Ceremony
We are looking forward to celebrating commencement with you and your guests on Sunday, June 17. For more information about the University-wide commencement ceremony, please visit http://commencement.stanford.edu
. Here are a few hints about what to expect at the departmental ceremony.
– The department ceremony will take place at the Merck Green, located between the Gilbert Building and the Herrin Laboratories. The entire seating area and ceremony will be tented for your convenience.
– Graduates and guests normally arrive from the main ceremony between 11:45am and 12:15pm. Everyone should be seated by 12:20pm. The ceremony will begin at 12:30pm, and will last until approximately 2:00pm.
– The department will provide hors d’oeuvres, water, and iced tea before the ceremony begins.
– There is no procession at the beginning of the department ceremony. Graduates should be seated at the start of the program and, upon direction from a staff member, will slowly move in their seats to the left, and then line up and receive their diplomas on stage.
– All graduating students will be seated directly in front of the stage. Students are seated in alphabetical order according to degree plan (PhD, MS, BS). Upon arrival at Merck Green, please look for the chair with your name card on it. If you cannot find a chair with your name, find a staff member immediately and let him/her know. We will be able to reserve a diploma case and add your name to the announcer’s list. The staff member will also direct you to a seat at the end of the student seating section.*
WHEELCHAIR SEATING, ACCESSIBILITY, & OTHER SERVICES
– There will be a marked section of chairs for guests with wheelchairs and their families to sit directly behind the graduates on the right side, facing the stage. If you or your family need this seating, please RSVP to email@example.com
and indicate how many seats you will need. For general information about disability resources, such as access and/or sign language interpretation throughout Commencement Weekend, please see http://commencement.stanford.edu/accessibility/
– Tickets are not required, and there is no reserved seating for your guests. We will have plenty of seating and refreshments for you and all of your guests.
CAP & GOWN
– Be sure to order your cap and gown by the deadline, Sunday, April 29, 2012
. MS and PhD students – be sure that you get a gold hood with your regalia. At the ceremony, do not put your hood on – hold it on your left arm, so your advisor or the Chair can hood you on stage when your name is announced.
– There will be no professional photography at the event, but there will be a photography area to the right of the stage reserved for your family and friends to take photos and/or videos if they wish.
– If you would like to provide guidance on the pronunciation of your name, please contact the Student Services Office by May 25, 2012
. Undergrads should contact Carmen Perkins, firstname.lastname@example.org
or (650) 723-5060. Coterm MS and PhDs please contact Dan King, email@example.com
*The Commencement program is compiled from lists obtained from the Registrar’s Office. Students who fail to notify the Registrar’s Office or the department of their intention to graduate or walk through the department’s diploma ceremony by May 25, 2012 will not be listed in the program.