The Department of Biology is a vibrant and diverse research community with postdoctoral scholars from around the world. If you are interested in becoming a postdoctoral scholar, please directly contact the faculty member with whom you wish to work.
Useful links for Postdoctoral Scholars
Funding opportunities - fellowship and grant applications
Useful links for Administrators
- Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
- Appointment Checklist - completed appointment paperwork must be submitted to the Student Services office (30 days prior to start date for domestic postdocs and 60 days prior to start date for international postdocs).
- Foreign Scholar Services at Bechtel International Center - for requesting new visas and visa extensions.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I apply for a postdoc position at Stanford?
- I'm applying for a fellowship that requires University signatures. Who signs these?
- I received a fellowship. Do I need to do anything to process the funds?
- Does the department provide travel funds?
- How do I fill out my tax forms?
- What do I need to do when my postdoc appointment is over?
There are several resources for researching postdoc positions at Stanford. In general, you will need to apply directly with the faculty member with whom you wish to work. You can research Stanford faculty through the Medical School Profile Pages, Biology faculty through this webpage or Open Postdoctoral Scholar Positions list on the the Postdoctoral Scholars website.
Please schedule a meeting with Denise Adams, in the department finance team two weeks prior to your application deadline. She will review proposals with you and get any required signatures.
Yes - please let Student Services know about your fellowship as soon as possible. They will need a copy of your official award letter, as well as any specifications on your institutional allowance, and the budget.
Unfortunately, no. If you are interested in travelling to a conference, you will need to request funds from your PI other other sources.
Student Services staff members are not qualified to help you fill out your tax forms. If you need assistance, please consult a professional tax advisor. H&R Block provides this type of assistance. Additionally, if you are an international postdoc, you are welcome to utilize the services of Bechtel International Center. You are also welcome to peruse information about taxes on the Postdoctoral Affairs website or the Controller's Office website.
When your appointment ends, you will need to submit the Termination Form to Student Services. This should be submitted at least 30 days prior to your last day.